Johnstown is a city in Cambria County, Pennsylvania, 41 miles (66 km) west-southwest of Altoona, Pennsylvania and 70 miles (110 km) east of Pittsburgh. The population was 20,978 at the 2010 census. It is the principal city of the Johnstown, Pennsylvania, Metropolitan Statistical Area, which includes Cambria County.
Johnstown, settled in 1770, is perhaps most famous for its three major floods. The “Great Flood” of May 31, 1889 occurred after the South Fork Dam collapsed 14.1 miles (22.7 km) upstream from the city during heavy rains. At least 2,209 people died as a result of the flood and subsequent fire that raged through the debris. Other major floods occurred in 1936 and 1977. Despite a pledge by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt to make the city flood free, and subsequent work to do so, another major flood occurred in 1977. The 1977 flood – in what was to have been a “flood free” city – may have contributed to Johnstown’s subsequent population decline and inability to attract new residents and businesses.
- Christ the Saviour Seminary
- University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown
- Pennsylvania Highlands Community College
- Cambria-Rowe Business College
- The two schools located in the City of Johnstown are Greater Johnstown High School and Bishop McCort High School.
- Richland Senior High School, Westmont Hilltop High School, Conemaugh Valley High School, Ferndale Area Senior High School, and Forest Hills High School are high schools located in the Greater Johnstown area.
- The Cambria County Library is located at 248 Main Street, Johnstown PA 15901.
- The Highland Community Library is located at 330 Schoolhouse Road, Johnstown PA 15904.
Major employers in the area include:
- American Red Cross
- AmeriServ Financial
- Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.
- Atlantic Broadband
- Berkshire Hathaway—Penn Machine
- Concurrent Technologies Corporation
- Conemaugh Health System
- Crown American
- DRS Technologies
- Gamesa Corporación Tecnológica
- Gautier Steel
- Höganäs AB
- JWF Industries
- Johnstown Wire Technologies
- Kongsberg Gruppen
- Lockheed Martin
- Metropolitan Life
- Northrop Grumman
- Pepsi Bottling Group
- Thomas Honda of Johnstown
- Zamias Services, Inc.
Islamic center welcomes Windber guests:
General info about Johnstown : http://www.johnstowncafe.com/index.html
Visitor attractions : http://www.jaha.org/VisitorResources/attractions.html